After a night of strong winds and Nandji rocking and rolling, we treated ourselves to a next level breakfast. By next level, I mean blueberry pancakes smothered in honey. Oh yea! It was a long night last night. Trying to sleep when the boat is swinging on anchor, when you are close to reef all around isn’t the greatest. I knew we had a good hold on the anchor as the bottom was mud, but you can never be too careful. Especially since I am new to all this.
After devouring more than we should have, we have just had a cruisy motor sail out of the inlet, turned right and headed north to an anchorage we are starting to favour called Stonehaven. It is beautiful here and I have had a few good spears resulting in some good fish, so I do favour stopping off here. Also it is a close protected anchorage on the way out to the great barrier reef and the last one with moorings. I am favouring moorings a lot as it makes life ten times easier picking up a mooring line than pulling up the anchor chain by hand.
Now that’s a story in itself. The *^%$&%#$^#$* (every naughty word under the sun) Windlass anchor winch has been trouble since the start. If you have seen our videos, then you would know that I have had a few issues fixing this prick. I know that it was my fault one of these times when I had a little fire on board as I didn’t use thick enough wire when I fixed it. However, since then, I have soldered a master piece of wiring together to fix this bad boy. But since our batteries are on the way out, we don’t have enough power to run the Windlass and hence, to pull the chain up. The Windlass is the thing that draws the most power out of anything on board. So its around this time that the muscles of the captain come to shine… So mooring balls are the winner.
The weather is looking to be pretty reasonable for the next few days, so tomorrow we are gonna use the stronger breezes in the morning to head out to the reef. Tuesday still has the weird west, north west winds all day but we can utilise the moorings at bait reef during that period. Lets hope others don’t have the same idea. But following that, Wednesday and Thursday are forecast to struggle to have a ripple on the water. They should be some amazing days out the reef. But Friday is forecast to blow 20s again so on Thursday arvo we may have to utilise the engine and get back to the islands at least.
So this is the last update for a few days again as there isn’t any reception out the reef. We are utilising the reception from old mate luxury land of Hayman island at the moment. However, I will remain to blog everyday and up load once we are back in the realm of civilisation.
Cant wait, exciting times ahead. Yew!
Captain Yosh out