In this episode of Sailing Nandji, we are getting close to finalising the repairs to Nandji after the reef scenario... The broken timbers have been removed and then re-planked by a local Thai contractor. To cover the timbers on the outside and to fill the seams the guys used an epoxy filler which I ground right back ready for fibreglassing. I had already back filled the seams on the inside with an epoxy wood glue and then fibreglassed over the lot including the structural ribs. The outside is now ready for more fibreglassing and we tackle the biggest glass jobs we have ever attempted. Nandji is nearly ready to go back in the water and the repairs are coming to an end, the only question now is... Will our boat float???
In the this episode of Sailing Nandji, it is time to finish off the rudder build. I had been busy gluing and screwing the plywood together to form the foundations of the rudder. With a solid platform to begin with, it is time for sanding and shaping and then fibreglassing the blade. I really enjoyed shaping the rudder blade as it quickly took shape and once glassed will be a solid new rudder. I take you through the design of the glassing complete and how I went about the lay up of the fibreglass construction. I tell you, rolling on those last nits of anti foul with the new rudder blade attached is a very rewarding feeling!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, being back in the boatyard this early was not what we had planned for 2020, but in hindsight, I guess now noone had planned for the current world situation... With the repairs to Nandji now in full swing, the destruction is over and the construction has begun. After sanding back the hull to bare fibreglass and then exposing the damaged timbers, I removed all the broken wood and employed a local Thai contractor to complete the re planking of the hull. As I had my hands full building the new rudder for Nandji, I relied on the carpentry skills of the contractors. Thailand is known for great woodworkers so I was confident they would do the job to a high standard. After re planking the the hull with a local hard wood, they continued to begin the caulking of the seams with an old fashion wood building technique using cotton thread. Traditionally, when the boat is launched back in the water, the cotton expands and fills the seams to prevent any water coming in. I was surprised to see this happening on Nandji as I figured it would all be epoxy glued. Not to be! If it worked for all those years, I am sure it will continue to work now! This is a little different though as in the old school days there was no epoxy filler layered on the top and then fibreglassed over again! It is a great feeling to have Nandji steadily becoming one again and she is not far off splash day!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, we are in the boatyard after the worst night of our lives. A mooring we were on failed during a heavy squall in the night and Nandji ended up on the reef. We managed to save her and sail the 50nm back to the boat yard where we are here. After a week of red tape, we are finally able to get stuck into the repairs. I tell you, there is nothing quite like therapy with a grinder as I spend days on end grinding back the hull to expose the damage. With the damage visible the daunting task of cutting massive holes in the boat begins...
Check out our BLOG on www.sailuniverse.com
Gain access to the treasure chest by becoming a Patron!
Please don't hesitate to contact us. We are always
keen on feedback and other human insights.
© 2015 Frothlyfe. All Rights Reserved.