In this episode of Sailing Nandji, it is time to paint our interior. We want to brighten up the interior and bring a more modern feel to the space. We tried to keep the traditional building style by planking up areas of the boat, but adding a modern touch by painting areas white. We had sanded back all the other woodwork which will be varnished in the future. It is important to do a really good job on the bulk head as we have changed this from wood to now be white. Since this is the first thing you see when you enter down the companion way, it must be perfect with no imperfections. This takes a WHOLE lot of time. Hours of sanding and priming then repeat. With a great foundation the first coats of the top coat area applied and what a transformation!
In this weeks episode of Sailing Nandji, we have been busy making the interior look new and fancy with replacing the old carpet walls and installing woodwork slats to be painted. Our boats standing rigging is attached by through bolts of the ull and attached to thick stainless chain plates. These chainplates need to be removed so I can finish the wood interior. What a better time to do a rig inspection as we have never removed these bolts! Bonita gets in on the action too, even though she is 7 months pregnant, it is hard to keep that woman down! After all these years of sailing and fixing up Nandji as we go, we have nearly changed or replaced everything on Nandji, but yet Bonita still asks the question. Do you know what your doing???
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, due to our little reef scenario earlier in the year, we have had some underlying issues that have since come to the surface. The Hydrovane rudder took a great deal of force when banging on the reef and that force has had to go somewhere. Bent bolts, cracked pads and a wet transom resulted in the windvane only just hanging on. With now water in the wood of the transom, I need to remove all moisture and reinforce this entire area so the windvane has a solid foundation once again. It's just more problems from that damn reef in Thailand! Another day in the boat yard!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, the destruction phase is fully under way! Nandji's interior was insulated with a marine carpet on the walls. Whilst it is probably a good insulator, it looks shocking and gets dirty, so it is time to renovate and modernise Nandji. After the reef incident earlier in the year, 2 major problems have since risen. One being the cutlass bearing is worn and wore out rapidly, suggesting a bent shaft. The second the Hydrovane self steering is loose and caused damage to the transom. Both pretty big jobs and needed to be fixed!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, manoeuvring Nandji around other vessels has always been challenging and as we rarely spend time in marina's, it always get me nervous. Marina's are always tight quarters surrounded by expensive things you do not want to crash into! Making our way out of the pen and into the haul out cradle, all my worries were pout to rest as we place Nandji on the hard stand and begin our second major refit in preparation for the new crew member who will be here before we know it! We move everything off of Nandji and let the boat work begin! We plan to complete a major overhaul and upgrade to Nandji's living quarters. Removing everything from Nandji and starting from scratch!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, we are living out the old saying which is so very true! There is always something to fix on a boat! Ever since we painted our topsides last year, Yosh is like an old man with his front lawn and when something happens to his paint... LOOK OUT! The nesting has officially begun and whilst Bonita is cleaning and cleansing the boat ready for the new baby, more problems are found. At least we can now travel inter province around Malaysia so we head to Harbour master and clear out of Langkawi. Our long 6 months on the island has come to an end and it is time to move on to greener pastures! Does the boat work ever end? there is always something to fix on a boat!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, we are getting close to finalising the repairs to Nandji after the reef scenario... The broken timbers have been removed and then re-planked by a local Thai contractor. To cover the timbers on the outside and to fill the seams the guys used an epoxy filler which I ground right back ready for fibreglassing. I had already back filled the seams on the inside with an epoxy wood glue and then fibreglassed over the lot including the structural ribs. The outside is now ready for more fibreglassing and we tackle the biggest glass jobs we have ever attempted. Nandji is nearly ready to go back in the water and the repairs are coming to an end, the only question now is... Will our boat float???
In the this episode of Sailing Nandji, it is time to finish off the rudder build. I had been busy gluing and screwing the plywood together to form the foundations of the rudder. With a solid platform to begin with, it is time for sanding and shaping and then fibreglassing the blade. I really enjoyed shaping the rudder blade as it quickly took shape and once glassed will be a solid new rudder. I take you through the design of the glassing complete and how I went about the lay up of the fibreglass construction. I tell you, rolling on those last nits of anti foul with the new rudder blade attached is a very rewarding feeling!
Check out our BLOG on www.sailuniverse.com
Gain access to the treasure chest by becoming a Patron!