In this episode of Sailing Nandji, we have been renovating downstairs and painting areas white. I have completed all the prep and applied the first top coat, but it is time to complete the project and make the white walls look immaculate. I like to make things as best as they can be to the skills I have and believe not to cut corners, but to put the effort in to make a beautiful finished result. This is one reason why the davits has frustrated me so much... But I have control of the outcome of the white walls and as this is the first thing you see when you head downstairs, it has to be perfect. But as I quote Bonita's old man once again "That's about as good as you're gonna get it" He was a painter for 20 years too! With the white walls complete, the transformation really takes shape with the layers of varnish beginning. The key to making varnish look good is layers. Sanding between each application and then applying another layer. Over and over and over. The goal of reaching at least 7 layers should do it 👌
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, after our little reef scenario early in 2020 we had some issues that still needed fixing. We discovered that the shaft was bent and needed straightening, which in turn rapidly wore out our cutlass bearing. After removing the drive system and cutlass bearing months ago, the new cutlass finally arrived in the post. Without a machine to press the cutlass in, I get creative and Macguiver that puppy home.
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, it is time to paint our interior. We want to brighten up the interior and bring a more modern feel to the space. We tried to keep the traditional building style by planking up areas of the boat, but adding a modern touch by painting areas white. We had sanded back all the other woodwork which will be varnished in the future. It is important to do a really good job on the bulk head as we have changed this from wood to now be white. Since this is the first thing you see when you enter down the companion way, it must be perfect with no imperfections. This takes a WHOLE lot of time. Hours of sanding and priming then repeat. With a great foundation the first coats of the top coat area applied and what a transformation!
In this weeks episode of Sailing Nandji, we have been busy making the interior look new and fancy with replacing the old carpet walls and installing woodwork slats to be painted. Our boats standing rigging is attached by through bolts of the ull and attached to thick stainless chain plates. These chainplates need to be removed so I can finish the wood interior. What a better time to do a rig inspection as we have never removed these bolts! Bonita gets in on the action too, even though she is 7 months pregnant, it is hard to keep that woman down! After all these years of sailing and fixing up Nandji as we go, we have nearly changed or replaced everything on Nandji, but yet Bonita still asks the question. Do you know what your doing???
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, I have been busy renovating the downstairs interior and came across some rot in the rear back bulk head. The best thing to do is rip it out and start again! Things always get worse before they get better and bashing in this rotted wood and removing the fibreglass was a dirty job, lucky Bonita never saw me do it! Replacing the old with fresh wood and fibreglassing it in, I decorated the inside with the strip planks to match the rest of the boat and when we paint it all next week, it will look amazing.
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, we want to give the downstairs of our boat a complete overhaul. We have been living on Nandji for 4 years now and we have steadily been upgrading her as we sail around the world. We have always completed upgrades for her safety and sailing performance but we are finally upgrading for our comfort and appearance! We rip out the old carpet that decorated the walls and replace with some fancy carpentry to match the rest of the boat. We want to give her a fresh new modern look whilst keeping the traditional boat feel and not making it look like an ikea kit!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, due to our little reef scenario earlier in the year, we have had some underlying issues that have since come to the surface. The Hydrovane rudder took a great deal of force when banging on the reef and that force has had to go somewhere. Bent bolts, cracked pads and a wet transom resulted in the windvane only just hanging on. With now water in the wood of the transom, I need to remove all moisture and reinforce this entire area so the windvane has a solid foundation once again. It's just more problems from that damn reef in Thailand! Another day in the boat yard!
In this episode of Sailing Nandji, it is time to do some investigation work. After our little reef incident earlier in the year, we have discovered a few under lying issues that have been coming too light. One of those being the cutlass bearing wore rapidly and needs replacing. Since we have a Sigma drive, the alignment is all okay and therefore I think Nandji has a bent shaft. To find this out I must pull apart the entire drive system of Nandji to find out. This involves removing the rudder, releasing the sigma drive, removing the shaft and then taking off the prop so the shaft can be put in a lathe to see how bad it is...
Check out our BLOG on www.sailuniverse.com
Gain access to the treasure chest by becoming a Patron!